I am an engineering leader active in software development, web architecture, and infrastructure automation. I enjoy helping teams realize the value of their work by improving the reliability and speed of software delivery. I have a strong background in DevOps practices and have begun to develop my people leadership skills.
My focus is on remote opportunities to create positive social impact through technology. My ideal next role is as an individual contributor (IC) or tech lead that supports engineers by helping them make web applications more scalable and resilient.
What I’ve done
- I’ve founded web application infrastructure teams.
- I’ve set up web application infrastructure in cloud based environments for many types of web applications.
- I’ve troubleshot and improved application performance across the entire software stack.
- I’ve instituted organization-wide incident response and architecturally significant decision-making procedures.
- I’ve helped hire software engineers across teams, conducted performance reviews, and aided in peer professional development.
- I’ve helped improve hiring practices by introducing an apprenticeship program, a structured application assessment, and an on-site interview loop.
- I’ve assembled cross-functional working groups to address organization-wide issues around business development and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
- I’ve helped introduce an engineering ladder to provide clarity in a growing engineering organization.
My technical skill set
- I write code day-to-day in Python and Bash, but am also familiar with Ruby, Go, and Scala.
- I am deeply familiar with how the Django web framework works, but also have a solid understanding of Express, http4s, and Rails.
- I am proficient with infrastructure support tooling, such as Ansible, Docker, Packer, Terraform, and Vagrant.
- I have managed multiple production systems in the Amazon Web Services (AWS) ecosystem and have a strong understanding of Batch, ECS, ElastiCache, Lambda, RDS, S3, and VPC.
- I have maintained and tuned a wide variety of data stores. I am deeply familiar with PostgreSQL, but also understand how Memcached, Redis, and Riak work.
Things I want to do more
- Help build inclusive environments for diverse groups of people
- Lead engineering teams focused on a common goal
- Build, grow, and hire engineering teams
- Facilitate an environment that encourages growth and professional development
- Work on projects and products that have positive social impact
Things I want to avoid
- Environments that encourage a poor work-life balance
- Workplaces with a history of office politics
- Organizations that intentionally avoid clear definition of roles
- Employers without established remote work procedures