I am an engineering leader active in software development, web architecture, and infrastructure automation. I enjoy helping teams realize the value of their work by improving the reliability and speed of software delivery. I have a strong background in DevOps practices and have begun to develop my people leadership skills.
What I’ve done
- I’ve founded web application infrastructure teams.
- I’ve set up web application infrastructure in cloud based environments for many types of web applications.
- I’ve troubleshot and improved application performance across the entire software stack.
- I’ve instituted organization-wide incident response and architecturally significant decision-making procedures.
- I’ve helped hire software engineers across teams, conducted performance reviews, and aided in peer professional development.
- I’ve helped improve hiring practices by introducing an apprenticeship program, a structured application assessment, and an on-site interview loop.
- I’ve assembled cross-functional working groups to address organization-wide issues around business development and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
- I’ve helped introduce an engineering ladder to provide clarity in a growing engineering organization.
My technical skill set
- I write code day-to-day in Python and Bash, but am also familiar with Ruby, Go, and Scala.
- I am deeply familiar with how the Django web framework works, but also have a solid understanding of Express, http4s, and Rails.
- I am proficient with infrastructure support tooling, such as Ansible, Docker, Packer, Terraform, and Vagrant.
- I have managed multiple production systems in the Amazon Web Services (AWS) ecosystem and have a strong understanding of Batch, ECS, ElastiCache, Lambda, RDS, S3, and VPC.
- I have maintained and tuned a wide variety of data stores. I am deeply familiar with PostgreSQL, but also understand how Memcached, Redis, and Riak work.