I am an engineering lead active in software development, web architecture, and infrastructure automation. I enjoy helping teams realize the value of their work by improving the reliability and speed of software delivery. I have a strong background in DevOps practices and have been actively developing my software leadership skills over the last five years.
My focus is on remote opportunities to create positive social impact through technology. My ideal next role is as a tech lead or engineering manager supporting small to medium-sized teams. If you are interested in chatting, please hit me up on Twitter, Mastodon, or LinkedIn.
What I’ve done
- I’ve founded web operations/DevOps teams.
- I’ve set up supporting cloud infrastructure for many types of applications.
- I’ve troubleshot and improved application performance across the entire software stack.
- I’ve instituted organization-wide incident response and architecturally significant decision-making procedures.
- I’ve helped hire software engineers across teams, conducted performance reviews, and aided in peer professional development.
- I’ve helped improve hiring practices by introducing an apprenticeship program, a structured application assessment, and an on-site interview loop.
- I’ve assembled cross-functional working groups to address organization-wide issues around business development and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
- I’ve helped introduce an engineering ladder to provide clarity in a growing engineering organization.
My technical skill set
- I write code day-to-day in Python, but am also familiar with Ruby, Go, Bash, and TypeScript.
- I am deeply familiar with how the Django web framework works, but also have a solid understanding of Express, Rails, and Serverless Framework.
- I am proficient with infrastructure tooling, such as Ansible, Docker, Packer, Terraform, and Vagrant.
- I have managed multiple production systems in the Amazon Web Services (AWS) ecosystem and have a strong understanding of API Gateway, Batch, ECS, ElastiCache, IAM, Lambda, RDS/Aurora, S3, and VPC.
- I have maintained and tuned a wide variety of data stores. I am deeply familiar with PostgreSQL, but also understand how Memcached, MySQL, Redis, and Riak work.